Moving to the Netherlands
Make an appointment
What you should know
If you do not report your move, the municipality can give you an administrative fine.
- Valid identity document.
- Original rental agreement or home purchase contract.
- Written permission letter from the main resident and a copy of their identity document, if you are moving in with someone.
- Proof of your marital status at the time you move to the Netherlands. This is not required for students.
- Birth certificate if you have been born abroad. This is not required for students.
- Marriage certificate if you have married abroad.
- Divorce certificate if you have divorced abroad.
Sometimes a certificate must be legalized. View the information from the central government about legalizing foreign documents.
If you are moving from a country outside the European Union, Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland, you should also bring:
- Proof of deregistration if you move from Aruba, Curaçao, Sint Maarten, Bonaire, Saba, Sint Eustatius.
- A residence permit. If you don't have this, make an appointment with the municipality. Call +31 53 481 81 81. You will then receive a Proof of Publication from the municipality. You can use this to make an appointment with the Immigration and Naturalization Service (IND) to apply for a residence permit.
Reporting your move is free.